SM Department Store hosted a craft media party to relaunch their Kicks line. Guests were given different crafts materials such as Sharpie pens, textile paint, paintbrushes, and more to help them decorate their sneakers. Hey Kessy joined the fun and brought other materials like washi tapes, glitter, Mod Podge, and custom-made papercut stencils to help the participants make easy patterns on the cloth.
For Mansy’s pairs, she decided to use a combination of craft materials! Washi tapes and magazine clippings for the collage; glitters and Mod Podge; Sharpie pens, markers, and alcohol for the tie dye effect; and textile paint (her fave acrylic shades plus textile medium).
The three featured artists gave a short talk on how to design and jazz up your own Kicks! Some tips include:
1. When you make a mistake, correct it by using another type of material. For example: If you don’t like how your marker doodles turned out, cover them with glitters!
2. Know when to stop! Don’t overdo the design.
3. Get inspiration from anywhere such as your favorite movie, travel photos, or songs.
4. When applying Mod Podge, use a sponge instead of a brush. It’s smoother and leaves no brush strokes!
5. Always seal your washi collage with Mod Podge to make it more durable.
6. Before using acrylic paint on cloth, add textile medium so that the textile won’t harden. Textile paint colors are limited so people usually use acrylic paint which has better and a wider set of colors available.
In case you didn’t know, Mod Podge and textile medium are available at the Hey Kessy shop!
Interested in collaborating with Mansy or the Hey Kessy shop? Shoot us an email at email@example.com and we can come up with something unique for your brand. We’re always open to your ideas!
Photos courtesy of Mansy Abesamis and Soleil Ignacio.