Last weekend, Ana Gutierrez—the creator of Bodyfood All-Natural—organized the very first Harvest Festival at their lovely home in Antipolo. The place has a big garden, and the sound of the river can even be heard in the background!
They set up different organic harvest stations for the attendees: Virgin coconut oil, pure honey (so sweet!), kombucha, marigold (perfect for tea!), and spirulina (superfood).
Hey Kessy’s Mansy Abesamis got to try harvesting her own honey, coconut oil, and kombucha (she added mango cubes to her jar!). At the same time, she was given the chance to discuss her projects and brands with other creative entrepreneurs through a short talk.
Using the virgin coconut oil we harvested from the fair, we whipped up two organic essentials we’re sure you’ll love!
Summer Coconut Lip Balm
Coconut oil (In case you didn’t know, coconut oil is a natural moisturizer, anti-bacterial, sunscreen, and antioxidant.)
Beeswax/soywax (available at the Hey Kessy shop!) Will add: http://heykessy.com/
Dried rose petals (cut into irregular strips)
Lip balm glass container (available at the Hey Kessy shop!)
BBQ stick for mixing
Old lipstick with a tint you love
Washi tapes, stickers, and glitters (available at the Hey Kessy shop!)
1. Put the coconut oil and soy wax or beeswax in a microwave-safe glass. (We used soy wax for this project!)
2. Heat the mixture until the wax melts, around 50 seconds to 1 minute.
3. While it’s still hot, add a small chopped piece of lipstick. The amount depends on the tint you want your balm to have.
4. Mix it well.
5. Put dried rose petals in the lip balm glass container.
6. Add the mixture.
7. Let it dry and harden.
8. Decorate the cover using Hey Kessy washi tapes and stickers!
Summer Coconut Tanning Oil
Black tea leaves
Vanilla extract (FYI: Vanilla has anti-bacterial anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to soothe and calm irritated skin.)
1. Steep black tea leaves in hot water.
2. Once ready, use strainer to remove leaves.
3. Add coconut oil to black tea. Mix well.
4. Add vanilla extract. Mix well.
5. Place in a bottle and add stickers to decorate it. Use it at the beach!
Do you have any favorite DIY projects using coconut? Share them below or by tagging us on Facebook and Instagram! You can also use our hashtags #HeyKessyDIYin5 and #LetsBeMakers so we can see your creative projects.